Sunday, January 14, 2018

Strings, Valentine, and Northern Woods

You are probably thinking that is a mighty strange title for a post-am I right?  Well it encompasses three projects. 

First project- is the string quilt my grandson has been helping me with on snow days off school.  A year ago we started it and he really loved it so I don't work on it except when he  hangs out with me on those snow days.  Last Thursday was one of those days.   I taught him how to carefully tear off the phone book paper from each block.  We worked on 21 blocks.   After tearing them off I had him arrange the blocks on the design wall and carry them in pairs to me at the sewing machine.  We completed the flimsy, which will become a donation quilt, in short order.  I am so tickled that he likes to be doing a sewing project with me.  He said next time he will help me with the other colors for another quilt.  In case you are wondering he is 6 years old.


The second project- yesterday I decided was a good day to work on a Valentine wall hanging to put in my Etsy shop.  This is how the preprinted panel looked before I cut it apart. 

And here you see I cut all the little blocks apart and rearranged them.  It is now all pieced and waiting it's turn in the quilting line:)  Hopefully I will get to it this week.

 The third project is one of my projects for the Island Batik Four Seasons Blog hop that is going on right now until Feb 1st (which is my day). 

Here is the schedule for the hop-there are giveaways so you will want to hop along with us!

WEEK 1: WINTER

WEEK 2: SPRING

Monday, January 15 – Elementz
Den Syende Himmel  •Inspired Layers

WEEK 3: SUMMER

WEEK 4: FALL

Monday, January 29 – Autumn’s Grace
BeaQuilter  •KISSed Quilts
Tuesday, January 30 – Pumpkin Patch
Ark Angel Creations  •Seams to be Sew
Linking with Oh Scrap!

21 comments:

  1. So sweet, working with your grandson! I have yet to make a string quilt, but I am collecting strips for it. I need a couple more hands to get to things like that right now. Actually, a dozen hands would be more reasonable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun having your Grandson at your side making this quilt!! Not only that but he's willing to do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought your title was intriguing! Made me want to find out what you've been up to! I love your string project with your grandson - sounds like fun, and how nice to have a little helper who will tear out the paper! Looking forward to seeing your Valentine panel finish and also your Island Batik project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful projects! I love your string quilt, and Valentine panel. Nice to be with your grand-son, he is already a quilter ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to your Hop!
    Quilting with your grandson sounds perfect! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving that string quilt. What a great memory for you and your grandson. Thanks for sharing your lovely projects with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure your grandson is enjoying the sewing time you spend with him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun memory for you two to have, quilting together I think he did a great job of arranging on the design wall too! Looking forward to seeing that panel as well as your Island Batiks project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the strings quilt. The colours are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really love the sting blocks. I have many strings that I should get started with. Love how you make them chevron.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kids are such fun to work with aren't they? As usual great work with the panel!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool projects. Have a great day!! angielovesgary2 atgmail dotcom

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I love the valentine creation. Reds and pinks my fav

    ReplyDelete
  14. How fun is that to have a grandchild interested in quilting! Hopefully he'll take the plunge one day and make one himself! Just curious what kind of quilt he has that grandma made for him. I'm sure you probably did a post about that somewhere. That valentine panel is really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so jealous that you can sew with your grandson! (Not really, I think it's so awesome!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a helpful little guy you have! He's got a good eye for color, too :) Glad you're having fun in the sewing room with him! Nice Valentine panel. I like the ones that have smaller squares like that. Very versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's great you have a grandson who enjoys your craft. One of these days he is going to keep one of those quilts for himself.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the way you did your string quilt tytyty for cool idea... happyness04431@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. That string quilt is beautiful! What a treat to have your grandson helping you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I finally got a chance to read thru feedly, your projects are lovely, the string blocks are fun with the rectangles! and love the valentine's ones too!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html